Homemade Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup [Vegan Recipe]
Haven’t been feeling my best this week (sigh). So when I feel like I am in a slump, there’s nothing like some comfort soup, especially now that the weather is changing. Why eat unhealthy canned soup, when you can make my own fresh and delicious pot in less than 45 minutes.
Makes about 2-3 quarts depending on how much liquid you add to it.
Homemade Sweet Potato & Carrot SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: American
🌱 Vegan Meal Idea using pressure cooker.
3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
3-4 carrots ( slighted shaved and chopped)
1 cup or 1 whole small yellow onion (chopped)
4 cups of vegetable broth (I used Good&Gather’s brand)
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
1 teaspoon of garlic
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of maple syrup (grade A)
I like to steam my veggies first to soften them and then use my #kitchemsmith Immersion Blender to blend carrots and sweet potatoes. I usually lay a sheet of aluminum foil with some hole cut into it above my steam rack.
- Change settings on pressure cooker to sauté/ brown. Add onions and garlic and sauté until almost caramelized.
- Change settings again to soup mode. Add vegetable broth, the rest of the ingredients, sweet potatoes and carrots to cooker and stir. (add 2 bay leaves (optional)
- If it’s too thick, add a cup or two of filtered or distilled water. Stir again.
- Close the top and let the flavors do their thing, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with parsley and pair with a salad or in my case a grilled cheese using sprouted grain ezekiel bread 4:9 (which is packed with protein and is considered vegan). Voilà! Ready, eat.
- Cook time may vary slightly depending on what you are cooking in. This recipe’s time is based on cooking in a pressure cooker.