Quick & Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
I grew up loving Kraft Macaroni and cheese in the blue box; if you did too, you will definitely want to try this Quick & easy Vegan Mac and Cheese version.
Hey Lifestylerz! If you are like me, where you get so busy that your days start running into each other, it can be a little daunting to walk into the kitchen and think what “VEGAN” meal am I going to cook today. Especially after spending $300 in one month on Uber Eats. Yo, I’ve deleted that app 3 times already. I really gotta chill!
Let’s be honest, sometimes it takes a little more thoughtfulness cooking a plant-based meal. Although in my mind, I might tap into my inner Gordon Ramsay and chef up my gourmet hit in my household. I digress.
My point is, the meals and snacks, I used to eat didn’t take much thought. Cooking was second nature. Now, when I “veganize” some of my favorite non-vegan meals, I still have to do a little research, check ingredients, look for alternatives or new ways to use whole foods so that in itself becomes overwhelming. So when I discover quick and easy dishes I can make that doesn’t require a lot of prep time and a long list of ingredients and instructions, I get excited and can’t wait to share with my lifestylerz.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
That is why I just had to share with you this super easy and quick VEGAN, yes I said VEGAN MAC & CHEESE RECIPE. I’ve paired it with air-fried Brussel sprouts, plant-based BBQ hotlinks, burgers, string beans and as a meal on it’s own. You won’t believe how delicious it is with just a few simple ingredients listed below. I made this recipe for my non-vegan parents and siblings and they can’t stop raving about how tasty it is!
The taste and cheesiness definitely will give you Kraft mac and cheese in the box vibes but without all the guilt and added preservatives. In this recipe we are using Violife cheddar shreds. You can find them at Wholefoods Market as well as other bigger chain grocery stores.
Violife cheese has definitely been a game changer in many of my recipes. It’s my go-to for extra creamy sauces, on-the-go meal toppings and childhood snacks like grilled cheese.
HOMEMADE Vegan Mac and Cheese [Quick & Easy RECIPE!]Course: LifestyleCuisine: American
For this recipe I will be using my Deenkee pressure cooker. However, you can use a stockpot. As far as seasoning, I love Cajun Spice but you can use sea salt as well.
1 to 1 1/2 cups of cashew milk (almond milk is fine)
2 tablespoons of plant based butter of your liking
1 tablespoon of Cajun spice
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
Half a box to (1) box of Barilla Elbow pasta
1 bag of violife cheddar shreds
- I am using half of one box 16oz (1lb) box of Barilla Elbow pasta. Feel free to use the whole box just double the ingredients. Simple follow the cooking instructions for the macaroni. I use a light pour of olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking.
- After draining pasta, pour pasta back into pressure cooker and add your choice of non-dairy butter and milk.
- I usually turn my pressure cooker on “reheat” and then pour 1 bag of Violife Cheddar shreds into the cooker with the pasta. You can also blend some Violife Colby Jack shreds as well for a more sharp cheddar taste.
- Add black pepper, Cajun spice, garlic and onion powder and mix well with the pasta, cheese, non-dairy milk and butter.
- As the pot begins to heat of continue to mix cheese and other ingredients until cheese starts to melt.
- Turn off pressure cooker, once you start to hear sizzling. Continue mixing and then place the top (not the pressure cooker top) on the pot and let sit for 3-4 minutes to allow the cheese to fully melt.
- If you don’t care for Cajun Spice you can use sea salt as an alternative.